With similar manifestations such as damaged scalp, exfoliating much unsightly, itchy feeling … Many people confuse scalp psoriasis and scalp fungus. Therefore, many patients skip the visit and treat themselves at home without realizing that they have misused them. This leads to more and more severe disease outbreaks. So how to distinguish between scalp psoriasis and scalp fungus? There are some notable features below that iCare Pharma has summarized in the following article
I. What is scalp psoriasis and who is prone to psoriasis?
1.1 Concept and consequences
The disease is caused by the fault of the immune system and causes skin cells to proliferate in a short time. From there, the skin cells build up on top of each other. Scalp psoriasis appears in patches or spreads all over the head, to the forehead, ears or behind the neck of the neck
Just like psoriasis in general, scalp psoriasis causes a lot of unpleasant, bothersome symptoms for the life and work of the sick. Psoriasis is not simply a dermatological disease but rather a systemic disease that affects many different organs of the body.
There are 65% of psoriasis patients presenting on the scalp. 40% of patients with psoriatic arthritis complications cause pain, shrinkage of joints. Oily skin psoriasis increases the risk of obesity, metabolic disorders, kidney disease, heart disease, hair loss
The quality of life of the sick is very low. Many cases of patients with insomnia, poor appetite due to psoriasis symptoms of scalp, making the immune system seriously impaired, affecting health. Besides, the cost of treatment, quality of work is also a burden for many patients.
1.2 Who is prone to scalp psoriasis?
Scalp psoriasis is a common type of dermatological disease, so anyone can get it. In particular, for people with poor hygiene awareness, stress, stress, smoking, frequent exposure to chemicals are the most susceptible group of scalp psoriasis. If not treated promptly and properly, the disease can spread gradually downwards affecting the whole body.
Basically, there is no really clear cause of psoriasis. However, there are many factors that lead to psoriasis outbreaks such as polluted environment, weakened immune system. In addition, it is affected by dry weather
II. These manifestations scalp psoriasis
Right from the onset, scalp psoriasis has shown some obvious signs.
2.1 Scalp rash
This is the first sign of psoriasis. When the germs of the new disease appear, they are manifested on the skin by patches of red, rough, and flaky lesions.
When you see this symptom, many people mistakenly think that they only have oily skin or scalp irritated with shampoo, so subjective not immediately see a doctor. As a result, the disease progresses more and more and causes more problems.
2.2 Silver, white scales appear on the head
To the advanced stage, the scalp of the patient will appear many white or silver scales covering the red skin. From small scales they can spread around, spread to the forehead or feed behind the ears, nape and below the body.
In some severe cases, the plaques will grow thicker and thicker. They can also merge into a large scale covering a large area on the scalp. This scalp psoriasis symptom is easily confused with a common dandruff or scalp fungal disease. If self-diagnosis at home is easy to be confused and treated in the wrong way.
2.3 There is a phenomenon of dandruff
The scabs after some time will peel off on their own. On the outside, they look like dandruff dandruff all over hair or on the shoulders of a shirt. This makes many patients feel ashamed to interact with people, gradually afraid to go out for fear of others seeing.
2.4 Dry, rough and flaky scalp
This is also one of the signs of scalp psoriasis that people often overlook. When scalp psoriasis becomes very dry, the touch of your hand feels rough and rough. Pieces of parched skin are also prone to peeling, especially on dry days or on cold days.
In fact, there are many reasons for dry and flaky scalp such as dehydration, food allergy or inappropriate hair care products … However, you should not exclude yourself. scalp psoriasis, especially when this symptom is accompanied by the above abnormal signs.
2.5 There is a scratchy sensation
Dry skin with patches of skin can irritate the scalp and cause tingling or intense itchiness. Many patients find it inconvenient to keep scratching their hands.
There are people scratching to the point of tearing both the scalp and bleeding but still not satisfied the itch. In contrast, this action only causes the scalp to be damaged, inflamed, leaving scars after recovery
2.6 Feeling burning scalp, hair roots
In addition, psoriasis also causes a burning sensation, soreness and discomfort in the scalp, hair roots. This feeling often appears, making patients uncomfortable and sleepy
2.7 There is a phenomenon of hair loss
When infected, the hair follicles in the affected area gradually weaken and break down, causing hair to fall out gradually. Scratching or combing your hair will cause more hair to fall out. Depending on the extent of injury or severity of the disease, the hair will fall out more or less. There are cases of severe scalp psoriasis hair loss to a whole segment of the head.
III. How to distinguish scalp psoriasis from dandruff, fungi and dermatitis
Based on the above symptoms, if not visited, the specific diagnosis will be very confusing. However, if we consider each disease individually, we will easily recognize the unique characteristics
3.1 Scalp psoriasis and dandruff
- The cause of the disease: While the origin of scalp psoriasis is directly related to the dysfunction of the immune system, we can suffer from dandruff by not shampooing regularly, changing shampoos intermittently. or wet hair when wearing a hat …
- Conventional dandruff flakes adhere directly to the scalp, rather than appearing dense in thick patches like psoriasis.
- The scalp of people with dandruff is only dry and itchy, not redness like patients with scalp psoriasis
3.2 Scalp psoriasis and scalp fungus
- Causes: Similar to dandruff, scalp fungus is not an autoimmune disease. The main cause of the disease is caused by the fungi Trichophyton, Trichosporon beigeli and Pierdraiahortai. They will attack the scalp when we often leave the head in a state of wetness, sweat and lubricants, unsafe water supply, a sense of hygiene and poor scalp care …
- A scalp that is attacked by a fungus will be damaged in a large patch with tiny dandruff particles appearing individually or forming patches. In case of severe fungus, the lesions may also be sores and festering due to infection. This makes the head smell unpleasant, poorly nourished hair becomes dry and greasy. Refer to the common symptoms of scalp fungal disease because you may be suffering from this disease.
- Scalp psoriasis is not contagious, only genetic. On the contrary, scalp fungal disease can spread quickly to others if sharing personal items such as towels, pillows, hats, etc.
3.3 Scalp psoriasis and oily dermatitis
- Increasing sebum secretion on the scalp is a favorable condition for harmful agents such as Malassezia ovale fungus, P.acnes bacteria to attack the scalp and cause inflammation. This means that the onset of seborrheic dermatitis is completely unrelated to the immune system as in scalp psoriasis.
- Seborrheic dermatitis also causes red, scarred lesions with clear boundaries, whether or not crusted over, but the area is usually quite humid and sticky due to excess oil.
Scalp psoriasis is not classified as too dangerous because it does not directly affect life. However, hiding the scales on the head to avoid the gaze of others makes many people tired, inferiority and depression. Therefore, patients should pay attention to early examination at dermatological specialist facilities. In addition, you need to use the right medicine, right dose, and consistently follow your doctor’s instructions so that the treatment regimen is applied effectively.